Thursday, March 5, 2015

Modernizing a Curio Cabinet | On the Down Low

Hello Readers,

I am loving all this wallpaper or wrapping paper on the backs of bookcases and cabinets.. but what about covering up a mirror on your curio cabinet?  Well, I decided to give it a try...  

I have owned this little beauty for about 18 years.


She has followed me from Texas all the way to Connecticut and has displayed all my pretties lovingly for so many years.







I simply purchased a $20 roll of wallpaper from a hardware store for this project.


Out with the old: I cleared out the shelves and used double sided tape to hang this paper up.
   I really like the simple neutral background of this wall paper, but I think a bolder brighter pattern would be fun too. 

That's the beauty of this project, its not permanent and you can change it out whenever you want!

I laid the paper up and when I was done I used an x-acto knife to cut the paper down to a perfect fit and get all the angles right.  A razor blade would work too. 


In with new: I slipped the shelves back in and decorated them with some pieces just like you would a bookshelf.  I added some pieces I recently picked up from a thrift store along with some pieces that hold memory from my family.



The end result: While it's not an actual bookshelf this look gives the illusion it is and takes the once dated curio to a modern level.  What do you think?



Do you have a bookshelf or curio cabinet you'd like to update? 
Here's one idea for your closet!

Brook Cundiff (from Gilt Groupe) found this curio cabinet at a furniture store & revamped it, added more shelves and the velvet-lined cabinet neatly holds 40 pairs of her most worn shoes! #shoes

And linens in a bathroom:
Love the size of this cabinet; perfect for hiding extra beddings, first aid kit, etc. Although, I wouldn't want the glass doors to show all that stuff

And a smart way to create a bar:
Living Rooms, Brayden Bar Curio, Living Rooms | Havertys Furniture

For more inspirational pictures of other cabinets, please see the Pinterest board I have created. 


From my House to your House, Happy Hunting!


 photo bcae8504-8846-4d56-8a1e-e38ee54656cf_zpsf2f14c24.jpg

I'd love for you to connect with the following!
 photo pinterest_zpsce3157c2.png  photo facebook_zps6e141a1a.png  photo email_zps02408533.png  photo youtube_zps504f1e67.png

UA-49484568-1

3 comments:

  1. I'm filling my curio cabinet with picture albums. But the mirror is so outdated, although you might not see it with all the books. Thank you for the idea. I was thinking of painting it, but this sounds easier and cleaner. Also I was thinking of window film would be equivalent to what you used. I wish I saved my little left-over piece just to see but it looks like it would be the same look. thank you again for ideas

    ReplyDelete
  2. We found fabric backed cork at Joanne’s to cover our mirror and love the finished project! It may not sound like a good choice, but it looks sophisticated and elegant. The material was a bit pricey, but we used an online coupon which made it affordable. The cork backed fabric was on a roll in the fabric department. It was very easy to install with double stick tape.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out my HUNT!