Sunday, August 26, 2012

Hitting It From ALL ANGLES--A New Family Room Revamp!

This past Saturday, I hit it from all angles--
               Tag Sales, Marshalls, Goodwill, Target, Lowes & Craigslist...

Our family room has been bothering me for some time and I knew Saturday was going to be the day I could do something about it--for a FRACTION of the cost, of course!

Our family room has DONE US RIGHT with raising two kids, but we are exiting the "baby stage" in our house and it's time to add some pizazz! (Okay, and get rid of the juice stained rug and furniture--apparently those darn little sippy cups aren't so spill proof.)

PLAN..check!
CASH...check!
COFFEE....check!

Here's a peek at the room--




Now let's get back to business...


First up this amazing bureau I got for $5 at a church tag sale.  
That's right, folks--$5!  
I knew instantly this was the inspiration piece for our family room.
 And the best part is someone painted it and used a really cool color already.

Now for some fun at the local Marshalls...




I found these guys for $50 each.
I thought they would look great with our brown leather couch--that survived the "toddler typhoon".


Next up, a trip to the local thrift store for more inspiration.  Just so happens, my thrift store, has a great deal with Target.  Target  drops off all their clearance items for the thrift store to sell at a fraction of the cost and the money goes to a good cause--Yeah Target!

Furniture, pictures, sheets, duvets and the list goes on--NEW and at a fraction of the price.

Hooray!
I scored a new Target lamp for $8.  

Speaking of Target, I took a quick trip across the street and found these great pillows.
I needed to sprinkle (if you will), the vibrant turquoise color of the bureau around the room.  These pillows were perfect.   A total of $110.


Then, I took a left and headed down to the Lowes...


  I wanted to try something a little different for the rug to pull it all together.  I know that Lowes has a section at the end of the rug isle, that has a lot of natural toned rugs, berber and other herringbone carpet piles.  I found a 8ft  x 10ft with beige tones and a little texture pattern for $88. (Guess who had a $10 off $50 purchase?)

While strolling to the check out, I stumbled across some lighting that was marked down.  There was a great Allen & Roth silver floor lamp marked down to $5.  From $69 to $5! It's like hitting the lottery PEOPLE!

Speaking of the lottery--I better go buy a ticket because.... I AM HOT TODAY!!!

It looked like the "catch" was the lamp shade was damaged and the person returned it.  Who the heck needs the lamp shade?  I got plenty of those things!

In the mean time, I also have an appointment to pick up a wing back chair I found on Craigslist for $35 at 2:00pm.  Another great reupholstering project.

My head was spinning people!  This is what I love to do!

Just goes to show--shopping your home and trying new things with a few NEW and USED things gives you a whole new look.  For LESS!!

What do you think?




































Do you recognize this little beauty?  This was a horse I scored at Goodwill and painted white.  Click here to read An itch...


To find out what I did with the mirror that goes with the bureau click here.


 How about that Target lamp?  I sanded it and painted it a glossy white.  I absolutely LOVE it!

What about that chair from Craigslist?  I found one just like this and I can't wait to get started on reupholstering it.


We are officially juice, vomit, poop, & gold fish FREE!

This was a great start to REFRESH our Family Room.  I am sure it will change slightly over the next few months, but not too bad for a Saturday of fun and for very little money.



To follow my projects and share my posts, join me on Facebook.


And as always, I love to hear from MY READERS!  Please leave me comments, post projects you have tried and feel free to ask me questions.

To see our most updated SPRING inspired Family Room click here.



Click here to see our deck'd Family Room....


From my HOUSE to your HOUSE, HAPPY HUNTING!

Holly



TDC Before and After
Linking to

The Before--





15 comments:

  1. That is a great find and what a fun colour. I love how you brought the turquoise in with accessories. We also have a brown leather sofa in our living room and found a $10 wood dresser to use too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find and a nice refresh.
    That dresser for $5 is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my,I love how you use so many pieces in your room that reflect, light. I personally love mirrors, and especially the mirrors above your fireplace and in the cabinets etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I just followed your link from the BHG article- I love your re-do! Especially love the dresser and the floor lamp ($5! Get out!). Anyway, you did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a successful Saturday! You got some amazing deals (love the dresser!) The room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I inherited that same dresser...plus an entire matching bedroom suit. I refinished it before my husband and I got married into a dark walnut stain. Its fun to see it in a color!
    And I cant believe the deal you got on that beautiful lamp. Makes me want to go scope out my Lowes...ya know, just in case;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great new look for the next phase of your family room. I love all your finds! I followed your link from Jane at Finding Fabulous. I'll be sure to visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found you on a search about decorating around brown sofas. I have a chocolate brown couch and love seat and need to paint. Really like your wall color. What is it?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes could you please tell us what color your walls are painted?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are English Tan by Ralph Lauren's VINTAGE collection. Lenox Tan from Benjamin Moore is very close.
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Holly

      Delete
  11. Everything's fab and what a bargain!! I found the link from browsing decorating ideas for brown sofa as I regret buying brown sofa and brown rug (stain free but needs a lot of "cheering up"). Will surely visit again :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The room really looks fab. You have some wonderful finds there and you put them together beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a manager at Lowe's. Corporate would NEVER let us mark down that lamp to $5.00. Are you prone to exaggerate your finds just a leeeeeetle bit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      No, I did not exaggerate the lamp... From what I could tell it was an Allen and Roth lamp in a box. The shade that came with it appeared damaged and I have plenty of those hanging around, so it wasn't a problem for me. One humans trash is another humans treasure. I find many things just like this at many stores. Target sends their slightly damaged merchandise to Goodwill..same thing. Happy Hunting!

      Delete

Thanks for checking out my HUNT!