Monday, March 30, 2015

A Bold & Dramatic Powder Room | A Stencil Project

Hello Readers, 

I'm talking about Powder Rooms on the blog today and I'm going to show you how I finally made my mark on ours and how I gave it a ton of personality.  Here's a peek..


My latest obsession has been to update our Powder Room.  If there's one room that should make a statement in your home--- it is the Powder Room.  This is the one room that potentially everyone that visits your home will go.  Why should it be less than stunning?


My office sits off the Powder Room, and I have to admit I love looking up and seeing this work of art. 


I have been inspired drooling from all the beautiful wallpapered bathrooms that I have seen on Pinterest.  I am in love with all the bold patterns and deep dark base colors creating so much drama... But not with the cost of expensive wallpaper + the labor to do it.  This could cost you a pretty penny..

As you can see our "before" Powder Room is not very dramatic or bold for that matter.  I wanted to try a project like this for some time so I finally decided to put my 'decorating jeans' on and try to achieve this look with a stencil.  For a fraction of the cost, (and maybe the same headache) I was confidant I could do this.  

*Enter: Cheerleaders. 

First, I painted the walls a delicious coat of Pantone's Charcoal Grey in satin.  These pictures of the walls just don't do the color justice.  It has just a hint of blue in it so it looks like the most perfect shade of steel blue.  

Then, the madness starts... I mean creative process, right? 

Supplies Needed: Foam plate for paint, foam roller, painters tape, pencil, stencil, paint for stencil, leveler, paper towels to roll off the excess paint.



I measured to find the middle of the wall that you would see right when you walked in and left a pencil mark so I could line up my stencil.  This one stencil dictates exactly how the rest of the room will look.  You work up, over and out from this first spot to ensure your pattern will be executed just the way you envisioned it. 

I rested the edge of my stencil on the molding and I used a leveler to make sure it was level.  

For my stencil color, I chose the  Hi-Ho-Silver in satin by Olympic. The little tubs at your local home improvement store are perfect for a job like this.  It only cost me $6 for the paint.

For my look, I wanted the pattern to go up and then the next rows pattern to start halfway between.  I wanted 2 inches between the start and finish of the repeated patterns so I measured that every time and then lined up and taped  my stencil for the next spot.  



Just when you think the stencil is straight--it is not.  Use the leveler every time.  Just a slight pattern in the wrong direction will mess up your look and wreak havoc on your patience.

Advice: I watched a couple of videos and they are all pretty much the same.  
  • Use painters tape to hold the stencil up.  
  • Use a foam plate, foam roller and a paper towel folded to wipe excess off the roller before you roll it on the stencil.  Every time.
  • Let the stencil dry before moving it to the next spot (2-3 minutes).

Time:  I broke this project up into a few days.  3 hours here, 2 hours there and another 2 to finish it up.  Yes, that was 7 hours to do this project.  I used my stencil almost 70 times!!


Design Drama: In a perfect world I would have purchased 2 light sconces for either side of the mirror, but since my room did not give me that kind of space, I purchased a 2 light sconce for ABOVE the mirror so I could have a little of the same drama.  I then purchased these beige linen shades to finish the look and give a little warmth to the room.  I liked the simple, but elegant look of this sconce..




I knew that giving my Powder Room a face-lift didn't have to cost a fortune, all I needed was a little budget and a lot of patience.  By completing the look of our Powder Room with a new mirror and light fixture my Powder Room is singing another tune. That's for sure.



So what do you think?  Is this a project you could see yourself doing?  I'd love to hear from you..

For more Bold, Dramatic Powder Rooms like this-- see my Powder Room Inspiration ideas...
powder room.

From my House to your House, Happy Hunting!

 photo bcae8504-8846-4d56-8a1e-e38ee54656cf_zpsf2f14c24.jpg

Let's Connect!
 photo pinterest_zpsce3157c2.png  photo facebook_zps6e141a1a.png  photo email_zps02408533.png  photo youtube_zps504f1e67.png

Linking to: Must Love HomeLife on Virginia StreetThrifty Decor ChicSavvy Southern StyleMilas Little ThingsLife on Virginia Street

UA-49484568-1

4 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! It's beautiful!!! What a lot of work but so worth it! Great job!!!!

    Not really anonymous-just don't have a blog. Love to lurk, I mean look...

    Anne Nonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your powder room is gorgeous!! The color you chose and the stencil is so dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! What an absolutely fantastic job you have done! I positively adore the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore it! Great job and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out my HUNT!