Monday, February 3, 2014

Series: Thrifty Tuesday | Winning with Pennies

Hello All,

I've decided to do a series on thrifty finds this year.  So set your channel to the first Tuesday of every month for mucho thrifty inspiration plus you can hang around for some other fun posts I have coming up too. 

To start this series off--Did you hear the news? I was selected by the design team at One Kings Lane to be included in their article DIY - Sitting Pretty.  I helped them introduce their Home Decor Resource Guide back in December, where I featured one of my curbside rescues.  


I am ecstatic to be included in this article!  My chair was hopeless, but now it makes a serious statement.  I hope you can check it out.--


I find so many inspiring things at the thrift store (and obviously on the curb!)... do you wish you could do that?  Maybe you already do it..

Well, here's your chance to hopefully be inspired to do a little thing I like to call: Winning with Pennies. 

Maybe you have these same things and are looking for a way to give them new life. Or maybe I throw an idea out there you have never thought of... Either way, I hope it's an inspiring read.

The goal:  To get the look for less shopping at thrifty boutiques.  (Doesn't that sound nicer?)

Frame work:  I went into the thrift store looking for any frame that already had a matte for a project I was doing for our upstairs bathroom .  It didn't matter if the frame was hot pink or puke green... I was going to paint the frame off white.  My adventure finally paid 
off--  I found a perfectly good black frame with a matte for $4. 


I slipped some beautiful fabric I was using for another project under the glass and the result is instant art.  

The tally: Total savings was probably around $15 - $20.



The perfect addition to our upstairs bathroom. 

A warm glow: I found this random white globe thing.  I first thought it was a globe for a flush mount light. (maybe like an old school house light?)  When I turned it over, I realized it was a candle globe and it had a beautiful mercury finish on the inside.  Interestingly, I could not put it back for $4.  What do you think?






I gave this beauty a front row spot on our dining room table and it turns out that I love it.  It's so warm and inviting at night.

Finding light: One of my favorite places to look for lamps is at a thrift store.  I like a little feel of vintage and spray paint can really do wonders to some of those throw backs.  Pharmacy or masculine desk lamps are definitely making a statement right now.  I found this one for my desk for $6.



Finding light again: As luck would have it, I found another lamp that same day.  This time it was a white ginger jar lamp (for $7) and a random Threshold lamp shade (for $4) a few feet down that made me actually dance



Fact: Over the last 2 years, I have found 7 beautifully interesting lamps at thrifty boutique's that all have a place in my home. (And 4 in our beach house.)  Sounds like another post for another time...

Have you found any lamps at a thrifty boutique?  Do you find yourself painting frames? Do you want to see a feature on all my thrift store lamps? Do you get all giggly with excitement when you save money on thrifty finds?  I do!

From my house to your house, Happy Hunting!


 photo bcae8504-8846-4d56-8a1e-e38ee54656cf_zpsf2f14c24.jpg


Let's Connect!
 photo pinterest_zpsce3157c2.png  photo facebook_zps6e141a1a.png  photo email_zps02408533.png  photo youtube_zps504f1e67.png

Linking to: Thrifty Decor Chick, Savvy Southern StyleThe Shabby NestThe Turquoise HomeThree Mango SeedsJust a girl and her blog


1 comment:

  1. What great finds! I need to do a better job of scouring my local thrifty boutiques-- so many possibilities! Thanks so much for linking up at Hit Me with Your Best Shot! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out my HUNT!