Monday, June 10, 2013

For the VINTAGE lovers...


These chairs have been sitting in my basement for years.  

I've covered them with slipcover chair covers and I've even painted one black and put a chair pad on it.  Never really excited about them.

My mother scored them for $2.50 each from a tag sale in the 60's!  Along with an antique lamp for $5.  After we bought our cottage by the shore, and I decided on a vintage theme, I knew this was my chance to give all three of these pieces the "home" they deserved.


I first started by spray painting the chairs a crisp white.
Once the chairs were painted, I wanted to add some material with my favorite "go to" nailhead  trim.  I picked some leftover fabric from the curtain panel I turned into a shower curtain. 



After cutting my fabric to match the size of the chair pad, I used my finger to space in between the nailhead and hammered away.


The end result:  A vintage chic look and a great place to sit and people watch as I sip on a much deserved glass of wine. 



And the LAMP:


While shopping at Target, I saw a floor lamp that had a white wash treatment on it that inspired me to try it on this lamp.

After lightly sanding the cherry finish, I then mixed white acrylic paint and water 50/50 and applied it to the wood base.






The final step was applying some antique walnut stain I had on hand.


And the cherry on top, if you will, is adding a vintage light bulb.  



This vintage trunk was left behind from a previous owner in a house we purchased and sold a few years ago.  Can you believe it?  Trunks are the bomb right now.  I love it when things like that happen to me!

It is perfect as a coffee table for the kids to play board games and bang it as much as they like. Who cares? 


There are still labels on the trunk dating back to 1914.  

So, there you have it! Some pieces collecting dust in my basement found an official home.  
The best part is I paid NOTHING to do these projects. I just used what I had on hand.  

What do you think? Do you have a love for things vintage?  


From my HOUSE to your HOUSE, HAPPY HUNTING!

Holly

Are you looking for ideas to add to your decor?  Are you stuck in a rut and need some fresh ideas? Let me HUNT for you!  Email me at HousebyHolly@yahoo.com for a consult.
To follow my posts, join me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/HouseByHolly

You can also follow me on HOUZZ.COM and Pinterest.

If you enjoy reading HOUSE by Holly, please click the "like" button at the top of the page for Facebook. Or visit http://www.facebook.com/HouseByHolly and hit "like".  

I will be sharing extra tips and tricks on that Facebook page I created.  

And as always, I love to hear from MY READERS!  Please leave me comments, post projects you have tried and feel free to ask me questions.

Linking to: Just a girl and her blog

TDC Before and After

Savvy Southern Style
The Shabby Nest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking out my HUNT!