Saturday, June 22, 2013

Please Enter Here

Here we go!

The time has come for the beginning of the big reveal...

The first room up is the MUDROOM.

Once a boring mudroom, is now a chic place to sit, store your stuff and is the FIRST IMPRESSION of our Beach House. 

The focus here was, "I think I will croak if I have to paint any more knotty pine!"  Seriously, that stuff is thirsty and I just didn't have it in me.  Not. even. for. one. more. room.  So for now, she stays natural.  That being said, I knew I needed some pieces that POP and white was my first choice. 

The front door was a grey blue, but I wanted something a little more classic.  I thought really hard about painting it the faintest yellow, but I already had the classic black door paint on hand.  Free wins!  
Plus, I am a sucker for a black pane door with a seagrass shade.  So classic!

In case you don't know, I have a love affair going with shiny back front door.  I have tutorial on how to get a glossy one without using oil paint.

The existing light fixture was a simple jelly jar fixture.  It was cute enough, but I wanted something a little more pizazz...
I tossed around replacing the jelly jar with a mason jar, but the vintage light bulb won.

These antique chairs were a $5 score my Mom made from a tag sale in the 60's.  


 
 The wood floors were already painted grey, I just purchased a grey/blue striped throw rug for $20 to soften it up.

For now, they stay grey.  I have hung my paint brush up for the Summer...



I found this awesome brass nautical bell at a consignment store for $12.  
Now visitors can let me know when they arrive!  


This built-in storage bench is perfect for storing all our beach essentials and our shoes.



What could be more perfect than a chalkboard in a beach house mudroom?  


My favorite CHALKBOARD CHEATING TIP:
Purchased a large photo collage frame for $10 at a discount store....  

Take it apart and paint the frame...

Paint the glass with chalkboard paint and put it back together!
It's as simple as that!

Instant chalkboard for $10 and so much nicer than the crappy one you buy at a craft store!


And as promised, all posts from this point forward will have BEFORE and AFTER pics.

Here's the boring BEFORE:



This front door had so much potential and this color just didn't do it justice.  By painting it black and adding a seagrass shade it instantly makes a statement.



What do you think?  Do you love a black front door?  Does a vintage light bulb turn you on?  


From my house to your house, Happy Hunting!

 photo bcae8504-8846-4d56-8a1e-e38ee54656cf_zpsf2f14c24.jpg

Let's Connect!
 photo pinterest_zpsce3157c2.png  photo facebook_zps6e141a1a.png  photo email_zps02408533.png  photo youtube_zps504f1e67.png

Are you looking for ideas to add to your decor?  Are you stuck in a rut and need some fresh ideas? Let me HUNT for you!  Email me at HousebyHolly@yahoo.com for a consult.


To follow my posts, join me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/HouseByHolly

You can also follow me on HOUZZ.COM and Pinterest.

And as always, I love to hear from MY READERS!  Please leave me comments, post projects you have tried and feel free to ask me questions.

2 comments:

  1. It's a good decision that you painted your front door black. Sky blue doesn't really match the wooden surface. Others may find it unique, but a black coat will do it more justice. You see, your entryway became even more inviting! Job well done, Holly.

    John Gwaltney @ Nehemiah ReConstruction

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out my HUNT!